Friday, August 31, 2012

Guitar Lesson 3

Motherfucking barre chords time.  Holy crap do these things hurt.

Autumn Leaves is 90% down.  Just need to work on that F#min7 b5 chord.  Everything else is there.  At consistent metronome speed.  This has led Tony to tell me I'm ready for barre chords.  So we've started on the FMaj chord shape.  Specifically using it to play Radiohead's Creep.  What a bitch.

However, I'm pumped to get it, as it will let me rock out the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go," which is my current side project, now that Closing Time is mostly down.

Also working on my first ever lead guitar line, the intro lick from "Surfing U.S.A."  Man, I am not ready for this lead stuff.  Still, gotta get it down eventually, and it will sound so good on my Danelectro.  Which I still need to name.

I've also started working on ear training.  I suck unbelievably at interval identification, but I'm getting better at singing them to a keyboard.  This will probably be a long process, but I strongly believe that ear training is pretty much the most important thing to musical development.  What does it matter what your fingers can do if you can't hear what they're doing?


No comments:

Post a Comment