Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Guitars, Canadians, and Spaniards, oh my!

So I picked up a shiny Fender amp for my shiny new guitar yesterday.  I am pleased to report that I think this thing sounds pretty freaking good.  Or at least it does in my entirely uneducated opinion.

Unfortunately, my playing still sounds like crap.  Despite knowing them pretty damn well - I no longer need to consult any chord charts for any of the open chords I've been working on - I still take way too long to switch between them to naturally play any kind of strumming pattern.  I can do quarter notes at 70 or 80 bpm alright, if I stick to the D, G, C, Am, A, E, Em type chords, but I realize that's not really the pace music is made at.  This will probably take some time.

But then, expecting instant results is a bit ridiculous.  If I keep practicing half an hour to an hour a day, I'm sure I'll get there.  Fortunately, I'm hyper motivated right now.  I want to be playing basic songs in time by mid September.

A pleasant diversion arrived last night in the form of a car full of Canadians and Spaniards.  We enjoyed some dorky dorky dorky lindy hop related conversations and a drink or three.  It was a pretty great night.  I'm taking them to Swing 46 tonight, which is pretty exciting.  Almost as exciting as figuring out how four more people and all their things would fit in my apartment.

The answer?  Surprisingly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment